Sunday, March 20, 2011

Maintaining Flexibility

When Dave and I went out to DC in January, we took a look at the apartment complex where most trainees are placed. As we'll live in DC only temporarily, the State Department sets it up as a business trip and arranges our housing for us. Dave and I went to the complex and took a look around. The staff even gave us a tour of an apartment. We weren't excited about the size of the 2-bedroom apartment, which was the largest option available. But the community seemed fantastic. Clearly this was housing aimed at Foreign Service Officers and their temporary families. The girls could make friends quickly with other kids in the same situation, playing on the playground in the middle of the complex or swimming in the pool.

We just learned yesterday that we have been moved. We are no longer at the typical Falls Church location. We've been upgraded to a 3-bedroom apartment, also in Falls Church. This is good news for many reasons - the apartment is much bigger, and well appointed. Its closer to the school, and within walking distance of the downtown area. In many ways it seems like a perfect fit for us, so I'm feeling pretty good about it.

But I was looking forward to that ready-made community. I wanted to make fast-friends with my neighbors and see the girls play with the other kids in the complex. I haven't come across any other new families moving into our amended location, which has me a bit nervous.

Mainly, the change just makes me want to hurry up and get there. I want to see the place, and get moved in. I want to see how many families live there, and to check out the neighborhood. I want to gather information and begin to get settled.

Soon enough, I know. But with this change, I'm now itching to go.

2 comments:

Z. Marie said...

You don't know me, but we're also Foreign Service, and I just stumbled upon your blog.
You'll like your upgraded living arrangement. Nicer apartments, more things within walking distance. There are quite a few other Foreign Service families in that complex, although not as many as at the main Falls Church location. But the main difference is that all the FS people in your new spot have at least three kids, and chances are some of them will be the same ages as yours.
Good luck!

Unknown said...

You will like it here. I have only been here a week and I really like it.

Kids everywhere, activities, continental breakfasts on Sundays. Lots of things. I personally like it.

Wow...3 bedrooms. Nice. = )