Thursday, March 24, 2011

Under the Surface

Our family enjoyed dinner with Jane, Tim and Elizabeth a few nights ago. Amid the conversation, Tim asked Dave and I what we will miss most about living China. Lilly didn't miss a beat. "I will miss my friends." Made any other answer I could give seem superficial, and gave a small peek into her heart these days.

This morning, she was listening to recordings of Sandra Boynton's music. If you have young kids, you need to know about Sandra Boynton. Her books are very cute, and her music is catchy and fun. We've got a pile of her board books and one of her albums, but Lilly was listening to some new songs this morning. Off of the Rhinoceros Tap CD, she was listening to So Long, Doggies. Here's a sample of the lyrics:

So long and farewell to my puppy dog friends.
We've had some good times, but here's where it ends.
I don't wanna chase rabbits, and I don't wanna play.
I just came here to tell you that I'm going away.
We've been running in circles; enough is enough.
Staying around is just ruff, ruff, ruff!
So long, doggies; doggies, goodbye.
I'm going away, and I'm telling you why.
I'm tired of barking up the wrong, wrong tree.
I've got places to go, and places to see, and that's why
I'm saying so long doggies, good-bye...

She pulled me over for the following conversation:


Lilly: Mommy, you've got to listen to this song. Its really sad.

Mommy (absently): Okay, go ahead and play it.

music playing

Mommy: Yeah, that's a great song.

Lilly: Its really sad.

Mommy: Yeah, it is really sad.

Lilly: Its so sad it makes me cry. Why does he have to leave his friends?

Mommy (much less absently - Lilly really is crying): It is sad to leave your friends, but it sounds like he wanted to leave because he had somewhere exciting to go.

Lilly: Yeah, but he sounds really mean. Why does he have to leave? Won't he miss his friends?

Mommy: We all miss our friends when we move. I know your friends in Shenzhen all miss you, and you miss all of them. But we have so many exciting things coming up, and so many friends we're going to see in D.C. Think of William and Jack, and of Layla and Ella. And think of all the friends you'll make once we get there!

Lilly (pausing): Yeah, but what about the puppies?

No comments: