Monday, November 19, 2007

A Good China Weekend

I’m a short story reader. Not just short stories. I like essays, stories, travel writing, anything that can be published in a magazine. I mean, a good novel certainly has its place. But if I can finish it in under half an hour, its even better. And if writing can deliver its punch in under two minutes, I’m loving it.

I read a piece on A Prairie Home Companion’s website about attending a friend’s funeral. Long before she died, the friend had left a phone message for herself – a bit of a pep talk. They played it at the funeral. All of this is good stuff for a story, but the pep talk really punched me in the gut. Her talk ended with,

"When you think about it, life is not all that bad. You've just got to get a routine going, and when things pop up, take a deep breath, maybe two, and you'll be okay. That's all."

Life here is getting much easier as I’m getting a routine going. But I need to work on those deep breaths. Because she was right, wasn’t she? That is all.

Take a few deep breaths. Turn on some good music. Watch your kids smile.

Everything really will be okay.

No comments: