Tuesday, November 20, 2007

The Hiring Process, part 2

Strike 1 - I was disappointed in the ayi I met on Friday.

Ball 1 - The friend-of-a-friend ayi is not available right now.

At bat - My language teacher's ayi.

Ayi Jen will come over on Monday evening and spend a few hours with our girls. She works 2 mornings a week for my language teacher, and full-time for a Norwegian-British family with 3 children. They return to Europe at the end of the month, and Ayi Jen needs a new family.

Amusingly, I had convinced myself to quit my language class this afternoon. I don't study enough. I can't pronounce or differentiate the tones. I never remember the vocabulary. And if that weren't enough, the teacher is pretty crummy. She's drilled how to say "I'd like a glass of red wine," and "I'd like a bottle of beer," into me but only once discussed how to count to ten. It felt like a complete waste of time, and I felt like a total failure. I was done.

Until the phone rang, and my teacher wanted to introduce me to her ayi. How can I quit her class when she may provide me with a fabulous helper?

So I'm sticking. And I'm conducting interview #2 with ayi #3 on Monday evening.

No comments: