Thursday, November 22, 2007

A Shanghai Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving treated me to two feasts, and Dave as well. We each went out to Chinese food, Dave with his co-workers and I with my language class. We feasted on Cantonese food with various dumplings, pork, mixed vegetables and fish dishes. The food tasted wonderful and I enjoyed the company. I learned a few new words during the class, but mainly got to know my classmates and teacher.

This evening we had reservations at a diner - the quintessential American restaurant. Dave arrived home late, so we arrived at the restaurant late accompanied by two hungry and rather grumpy girls. They served a sub-par turkey dinner which we ate quickly to avoid babies losing patience. We learned that S-- likes beets and pumpkin pie. We were reminded that L-- can eat an entire piece of chocolate cake no matter how full she may otherwise be.

I went into it rather excited about celebrating Thanksgiving in a new way. And although I enjoyed my Chinese meal this noon, the supper felt like any other rushed dinner out where the girls were overhungry and the food was average. It only served to remind me that Thanksgiving is less about the food and more about the company. We miss you all today.

As we go to bed tonight, you'll be rising to cook your feasts. Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments: