Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Taking Candy from Strangers

I'm getting into a van with two strange men.

I texted to Dave.

But why worry him, I thought. I cancelled the text message.

This as I rode in a van with two strange men.

Folks with vans seem to have IKEA figured out. They do their shopping, and then offer someone a ride home. They charge roughly double what a taxi would charge, but you have to take it because you can't get a taxi. First, you're probably so heavy laden that you wouldn't fit in a taxi alongside your purchases. Second, IKEA's parking lot is so arranged that you can't take your shopping cart away from the front door. If you can't carry your purchase a long block to the street, you can't get a taxi.

All of this is a boon for the friend-with-a-truck.

This is the week of IKEA for me, and I've ridden with these friends twice. Last night, his friend had bunk beds. They sat in the front of the van singing and laughing the whole way home - about a 40 minute drive. Tonight, the friend had a chair, shelves and a large empty box. And they expected me to sit in the front seat with them. There were only bucket seats. I walked away, so they set up the back seat and broke down their empty box.

Last night, I thought I was negotiating with a taxi driver. Tonight, I knew better.
Last night, the driver and his friend were both very helpful, picking up my furniture, gathering my tax receipt and pushing my carts. Tonight, no such luck.
Last night, they had a seat prepared for me in the car. Tonight, I had to fight for it.

Still, I made it home both times, safe and sound. And I suppose I ought not complain about the price, either. I paid about $10 for a 40 minute ride at 10:00 at night, plus delivery of my plates, pillows and comforters.

No comments: