Thursday, January 10, 2008

Culinary End-Point

After researching Worchestershire Sauce, I set out this afternoon to find soy sauce. In Asia, this didn't take long. I went to our local wet market and bought the first bottle I saw with English writing - Premium Soy Sauce. How much? Seven quai. This is a large bottle of soy sauce, and I paid $1 USD for it.
So now I'm thinking this wet market is a pretty good deal. What else can I buy?
I found all of the vegetables for dinner tonight and tomorrow night at 2 other stands. The first woman sold me a decent sized bag full of veggies, and I tried to pay her 10 times what she asked. The second woman asked for 6 jaio - that's about half of 1 quai. This pepper would cost around $1 in the states, but at the wet market I paid the equivalent to about 7 American cents. I'm sold.
The dinner turned out quite well. I substituted soy sauce with lots of extra pepper for Worchestershire, per the internet's recommendation. I substituted dried sage for fresh thyme, based entirely on Simon & Garfunkel's reference: parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme. I didn't measure anything. And it turned out fine - in fact, really very good.
I built my confidence as a cook in the states over the last year or so. Moving to China tore it down, as a Chinese stove cooks so hot that I could no longer even manage a good grilled cheese sandwich. This week, after successful meals two nights and running, my level of confidence is on the rise once again.

No comments: